Monday, September 13, 2010

Cultural differences of individual and collectivist cultures

     Now I am going to talk about cultural differences of individual and collectivist cultures. In an individualist culture you are responsible for yourself and perhaps your immediate family; in a collectivist culture you are responsible for the entire group. In my own words, I think the individual is a hero of the movie or a person. They just work for themselves. The collectivist culture people are responsible for themselves and entire group, they are not one person. They are two or more people work together or do something together.


     For example, when I took English 101 last year, we have five groups to study English together, each group has five students. Using my own words to say and explain this problem, I would say these groups are collectivist cultures, and the whole class is another collectivist. When my partner and I do a project, we always work together and are responsible for each other. For the individual cultures, it gets opposite position with collectivist cultures. For example, when I studied speech 120 last semester, each class I need do a speech. Each speech, I do by myself. After I finish my speech, the teacher always gives me a grade and the same time she also tells me how to improve my next speech. So I think this is an example of individual culture. I work by myself, when I finish my speech, teachers just give me a grade, and she will not give other classmates grade.

1 comment:

  1. These are examples of group and individual activities, not necessarily collectivist or individualist culture.

    ReplyDelete