Monday, September 13, 2010

High and Low power distance culture

     Now I am going to talk about High and Low power distance culture. In some cultures power is concentrated in the hands of a few, and there’s a great difference between the power held by these people and the power of the ordinary citizen. These are called high power distance cultures; in low power distance cultures, power is more evenly distributed throughout the citizenry. In my own words, I think the high power distance culture is when a student does something he always follows the direction. In low power distance culture, when people talk with somebody they always make their speech sound like talking with a good friend.


     For example, China has a high power distance culture. When people talk with each other they always use polite and totally respectful language. I am a Chinese person. When I took class in China, I always followed my teacher’s direction step by step. I never thought about if the direction was correct or incorrect, and I also never thought about how to make some change or improve the questions. This is an example of high power distance culture. In American, when I take classes, teachers and students always discuss together to improve teachers’ teaching and students’ study ability. This is an example of low power distance.

1 comment:

  1. I have heard other Chinese/Asian students share this example. I think you are on target with this observation.

    ReplyDelete