Wednesday, September 8, 2010

High and low ambiguity tolerant cultures

     I want talk about high and low ambiguity tolerant cultures. When we look the words, we can understand some of information of the definition. Members of high-ambiguity-tolerant cultures don’t feel threatened by unknown situations; uncertainty is a normal part of life, and people accept it as it comes. Members of low-ambiguity-tolerant cultures do much to avoid uncertainty and have a great deal of anxiety about not knowing what will happen next; they see uncertainty as threatening and as something that must be counteracted.


     With my own words to explain this definition, I would say when members with the high-ambiguity-tolerant cultures, they will not avoid unclear or unknown questions; they will accept and feel comfortable with ambiguity. For example, I have a good friend, she comes from China, her English is not very good, but she is never afraid to use English to talk with American people. She likes to talk with somebody and the same time she can study English. I am totally different from her. I think I am a member of low-ambiguity-tolerant cultures. I always avoid talking with American people because I always worry. Before I need to talk with American people, I always think I may make a mistake. There are a lot of question in my head, I always adjust my words and grammar. Since I speak little English with American people and my English is not improving quickly.

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure that was a good example of showing low and high ambiguity tolerance in cultures.

    ReplyDelete