Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Listening stages of remembering

     Today I am going to talk about listening stages of remembering. According to the textbook, “Messages that you receive and understand need to be remembered for at least some period of time. What you remember is not what was actually said but what you think (or recall) was said. Memory for speech is reconstructive, not reproductive” (DeVito 83). In my opinion remembering is when we remember the main idea and when we repeat it, we just need to repeat the main concepts of the information. We do not need to copy the exact information.
     For example, yesterday my friend told me something, she said, “do you know your friend Yingqin had a baby girl yesterday. The baby weighs 8.52lb. The baby is cute.”  I recognize the information and identify central idea. When I went back home, I told my husband, I said “Do you know Yingqin had an 8.52lb girl. The girl is cute.”  With this process, I do not repeat all my friend’s words, I just repeat key concepts. I think in our everyday life, we can find a lot of these kinds of examples. 

1 comment: