Friday, November 5, 2010

Surface and Depth Listening

        When we just focus on surface talking, we may miss some important information. First I want to explain what surface and depth listening are. According to the textbook, “surface listening is obvious literal meaning” (DeVito 91). In my opinion, surface listening is we just listen to the surface things, and when we listen we do not focus on the whole means. According to the textbook, “depth listening is subtext” (DeVito 91). In my opinion, depth listening is when we focus on the speaker. We focus on their verbal and nonverbal messages, and then we use that information to help us understand the speakers’ means very well.
            For example, I think I did a surface listening, when my friend asked me my opinion about her new dress? I did not think a lot, I just said, “this is a good dress, but maybe you can buy another dress from mall that is better.” She is my friend, and I want tell her all true information, but sometimes this kind information may hurt somebody. After three days, I went outside to have a walk, and I saw a friend. My friend approach me and then she said: “do you know Lili spent a lot of money to buy a dress, but finally she did not like the dress.”  I suddenly realized I made a mistake. I did not realize Lili’s speaking has more means. She was not just asking whether the dress is good or bad. She wanted me to give her some information about the dress to help her prove that she made a good decision.

4 comments: