Friday, November 12, 2010

Assertive and Non-assertive Communication

I think that assertive and non-assertive communication give us a totally different feeling.  According the textbook, “assertive messages express your real thoughts --- even if they involve disagreeing or arguing with others --- but are nevertheless respectful of the other person” (DeVito 111). In my opinion, assertive communication is when we communicate with other people and tell them our thoughts without worrying about what that person thinks of us. According to the textbook, “people who are non-assertive fail to stand up for their rights” (DeVito 112). In my opinion, non-assertiveness is not expressing ones thoughts; we just follow other people’s thinking.
            For example, last year I had a discussion with my friend about how to teach children. My friend said that for good education, we should train children every day and teach them how to do everything. I had an idea about education, but I did not tell them. My friend is too self-confident, and I did not want to break down her thought. I just said, “This is ok, we can follow this way.” I did not ask questions and also did not give any concern about if this way is good for us or not.

1 comment:

  1. This is a good example to illustrate non-assertive communication.

    ReplyDelete