Monday, November 22, 2010

Beltlined

        Communication is a really complex and interesting thing. Everyday we communicate with people; we may get hurt from conversation. When we talk with people we should be careful with our conversation; we can not hit people’s beltlining.  According to the textbook, “one popular but destructive face-attacking strategy is beltining. Much like fighters in a ring, each of us has a “beltline”. When you hit below this emotional beltlining, you can conflict serious injury” (DeVito 263). In my opinion, people should be careful with each word. When we talk with people we can communicate with them and feel happy, but we cannot talk about something that may hit people as a painful thing.
            For example, three years ago I went to take a drivers license test. First time I went to take the test I did not pass. Finally the second time I passed the test. After I tried the first time, my friend asked me, she said, “did you pass the test?” I answered her I did not pass the test. Then she said to me, “I think the test is easy, I just try one time I passed the test.”  I know my friend just wanted to tell me what she thought about the test, but I felt bad. She thought the test was easy, I did not pass the test, I thought I was bad. Sometimes, people just say something; they may not know that they are going under other people’s beltlining. So, when we talk to people we should do not hit people’s beltlining that may hurt other people.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think this is an example of beltlining. Beltlining is when you want to hurt someone's feelings on purpose so you say something that you know will hurt them.

    ReplyDelete