Thursday, November 18, 2010

Self-disclosure

        what is self-disclosure, according to the textbook,” self-disclosure refers to communicating information about yourself (usually information that you normally keep hidden) to another person” (DeVito 189). In my opinion, self-disclosure is when we tell my information to other person. For a good understanding of this concept we need to know when we do a self-disclosure, we are not just ourselves, we need at least one other individual.
            I think I did too much self-disclosure in my life. Sometime for exchange information between two people, we may use self-disclosure to exchange information with the other person to build a good relationship. For example, in my life, sometimes I use self-disclosure to build relationship. One time I took a bus to my grandmother’s home. I was bored, so I talked with the person next to me. I told the person the reason why I was on the bus. I used self-disclosure because I wanted to talk with the person to make the trip interesting. At first, the person was happy to talk with me, but after a half hour he stopped talking. I think with this conversation I missed some sign about what moment I should stop self-disclosure. Sometimes people do not like to talk too much with a stranger because this may bring some safety problems.

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting example. Remember that when you are on a bus or plane you tend to disclose more due to the disinhibition effect.

    ReplyDelete