Saturday, November 13, 2010

Self-fulfilling Prophecy

Now I am going to talk about the self-fulfilling prophecy. According to the textbook, “A self-fulfilling prophecy is a prediction that comes true because you act on it as if it were true. Put differently, a self-fulfilling prophecy occurs when you act on your schema as if it were true and, in doing so, make it true.” (DeVito 66).  In my opinion a self-fulfilling prophecy is when people approach somebody or do something, they will assume that person is nice or believe they can accomplish what he is planning to do in advance. They will then talk to  the person to prove they are correct or work hard to achieve his goals.
For example, when I took math, I made a prediction at the beginning, i.e., if I worked hard I could get a good grade in this class. As such, I worked really hard on math class since the beginning of the semester. After I finished my first test, I succeeded in getting good grade. Since then, I studied even harder. As such, finally I achieved my goals and got A. I think this example is a good example to explain the self-fulfilling prophecy.

1 comment: