Saturday, November 20, 2010

Matching Hypothesis

According to the textbook, “ although there are exceptions, the principle of similarity states that you’re probably attracted to your own mirror image --- to people who are similar to you in nationality, race, ability, physical characteristics, intelligence, and so on” (DeVito 241). In my opinion, I think people like the person who come from their culture and similar to themselves. They can feel free to talk and know how to make the conversation more effective and make life more interesting.
I find the matching hypothesis is the truest. For example, in China, when I moved from Hunan to Shanghai, I always looked for the Hunan people. I liked to talk with the hometown people because we feel more close to each other and happy. I think a lot of examples can prove this concept is true. For example, in China, when people look for romantic partner, they like to look for a partner that comes from same city and have some family background. They think if they have these things in common, they will have a good relationship and fewer conflicts. This is a really interesting concept. Most of people like to follow this concept to do.

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting to apply the matching hypothesis to cultural difference (and sameness).

    ReplyDelete